Oncimmune gets positive reults from NHS lung cancer screening trial

Oncimmune Holdings has reported positive interim data from the National Health Service (NHS) Scotland ECLS Lung Cancer Screening Trial, as EarlyCDT-Lung can detect cancer up to four years earlier than other methods.

The interim results of the study,  to be presented at the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer’s 17th World Conference on Lung Cancer in Vienna (IASLC), Austria, showed on 12210 patients that 599 (9.8%) of the test group had a positive test with 275 found to have lung nodules larger than 8mm. 16 lung cancers have been detected, 12 (75%) of which are early stage.

Approximately 20% of lung cancers are detected incidentally at an early stage, for example, during a scan for heart disease, however, the remaining 80% present symptomatically, which may be up to four years after it could have been detected by the EarlyCDT-Lung test followed by CT screening.

Professor Frank Sullivan, Chief Investigator of the ECLS Study said: “The ECLS Study is now fully recruited with over 12,000 patients. The results continue to be very encouraging and suggest it could be possible to detect early stage lung cancers sooner than with current methods. We look forward to completing the study and presenting full results, including the control group, after the full follow up period.”

Geoffrey Hamilton-Fairley, CEO of Oncimmune, said:“Today’s positive interim data add further to the growing evidence that the EarlyCDT-Lung test has the potential to play a significant role in the early detection of lung cancer and save lives and money. EarlyCDT-Lung can detect cancer up to four years earlier than other methods allowing cancers to be found at Stage 1 or 2, meaning that patients can be treated with surgery and not require any (or only limited) chemotherapy, reducing morbidity rates and significantly lowering the cost of treatment.”

First announced in March 2012, the ECLS Study is designed to determine whether use of the EarlyCDT-Lung test as a screening method leads to earlier detection of lung cancer and can help to save lives in the long term.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s